Forsyth County Commissioner Cindy Jones Mills’ Facebook Rant

Click link for list of topics. Membership is not required to read content or to watch Nydeos.
Nydia Tisdale

Forsyth County Commissioner Cindy Jones Mills’ Facebook Rant

Post by Nydia Tisdale » May 31st, 2014, 8:15 pm

Cindy Jones Mills

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:32pm ·

Last night's planning commission meeting left me with a hollow, depressed feeling. The zoning isn't in my district and I don't know any party involved either selling or developing the land. The property has been owned by the same man for the last 40 years. He used it for a place to ride his horses and do a little farming. He is handicapped and walks with a cane. A multitude of green shirts came out to oppose his zoning. They are against it for a variety of reasons but mainly they don't want homes coming next to them. This man moved here before either of these subdivisions that abut him were ever thought about. They love his land to look at and to enjoy for their own but they don't want anyone else there and they don't want to buy it. They claimed it was density and the purchasers dropped it way down to 1.75 units per acre. There's sewer available and there's much more dense projects in the vicinity. There's one adjacent property that's on larger lots but it was built on septic before sewer was available. The man with the cane patiently listened to person after person stand and say why he shouldn't be able to sell his land. None mentioned it more than conforms to the land use map. They complained that his ponds had sediment and silt in it and that's when he creeped to the podium. He told about his life on this land and how long he's paid taxes on it. He explained he was getting old and trying to put his things in order and why he was finally selling it. He really hit a point when he said his ponds had never had sediment until the two subdivisions built on each side of him. The saddest thing to me is he is one man. One proud man that has loved his land all these years and the very people he adapted his life to are the ones who don't think he should have the same rights they want in selling their houses. Our county has reached a very scary time in my view. Politicians are caring more and more about pleasing the voters than what is right by law and by what should be our own code of ethics. America was built on giving people property rights and those rights are dwindling before my eyes. Who will stand up for this one man and treat him fairly? Not many. The tyranny of the masses is ruling and the saddest thing of all is they think it's their right.

• 205 people like this.

Stacy M Sad.....

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:40pm · 1

Lori Clark McCormick I know when I was a commissioner, I had some very hollow moments and I would talk to Terry and we always said they want to move in and then close the gate behind them. Trust me it probably hurts this man to sell this property, a home he has known for years and as time passes by you just cant look after it, age takes it toll. God Bless you and many prayers!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:41pm · 3

Gary Tallant I have always been of the opinion that if you want to control what happens on someone else's property, then fork over the money and buy it. If those folks want to talk about closing the gate at the county line, remember there are plenty of us that would liked to have closed it before they showed up...

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:41pm · 7

Cindy W. Hansard Is that why William didn't get home till 10:30?

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:43pm · 2

Gary Cooper It is one group of people who want all growth stopped. They have their houses and land and could care less about anyone else's property rights. The commission would do well to follow the law and respect this man's rights. If the zoning conforms to the UDC, the land use map, and surrounding density, then you really have no choice but to approve his request. Thank you for looking out for this man.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:43pm · 4

Cindy Jones Mills I have never appreciated the way my parents raised me more than since I have come into this office.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:44pm · 17

Bryan Herron Well said Cindy.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:46pm · 1

Lisa Hansen Head Well said!!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:46pm · 1

Denise Barker The fact that someone can move in next to you after your family has been here for decades, and have the right to tell you What to do with your land is TOTALLY LUDICROUS! ! It is none of your business what I do with my land! !! This is what is wrong in America today!! Lets try to be politically correct and make everybody happy???WTF??? Guess what?? Unless you want to buy my land so it belongs to you... IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT I DO WITH IT!! Give me a break!!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:47pm · 5

Cindy Jones Mills Yep, I was there with William and I've been depressed all day. They justify their actions by pretending they are concerned about the environment. A few are but most don't want a house beside them. They like those empty pastures and woods. That man liked it better before they moved here too.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:47pm · 4

Joni Williams Poulnott It is tyranny of the masses. Pure and simple and pathetic.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:50pm · 1

Valerie Walraven Ross Damn yankee's - can't we send em home!! Oh and they're why I hate our roads now too!! Yep - I said it out loud!! ;)

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:52pm · Edited · 1

Cindy Jones Mills I just had someone send me things they are writing about me on the blogs. One lady just wrote that I didn't care about this county and I only wanted to sell more houses. I don't sell houses. The few I have ever sold have been for close family or friends. She said I didn't care about this county. Seriously? I have never lived any where else. I have served on every committee possible to make our county and community better. I've worked in the schools, the parks and my church forever. My family isn't going anywhere but here. I would like to compare what I've put into the community compared to her. Infuriating and so ridiculous. They don't know me. They say I'm a friend to the landowner. God forbid. What a horrible thing to be.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:53pm · 17

Eric Bennett Well said

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:56pm · 4

Valerie Walraven Ross Just smile sweetly and say it under your breath too ;)

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:56pm

Valerie Walraven Ross Oh and never forget to say "bless your heart and thank you for speaking!!" ;)

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 9:59pm · 5

Gabriel Arango That's why you are perfect for the position you hold. I commend you for a well written opinion.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:00pm · 3

Joni Williams Poulnott Cindy Jones Mills you and I both know that Ignorance is always shouting it's point of view. Intelligence is calm and controlled in the midst of it all. Hang tough my fellow FoCo native.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:02pm · 5

Cindy Jones Mills It wasn't a lady who wrote that. It was a man who doesn't even live here anymore and who knows nothing about me. He's claiming I support zonings because I worked for Emory Lipscomb when I was 20. I'm almost 52 now. I laugh. He has no idea how strong willed I am. I don't support things that are bad and I try to work to make every development better. I have spent more time looking for transportation solutions than most others. I love my county and if I didn't I certainly wouldn't be doing this thankless job.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:02pm · 7

Matt Payne Oh Cindy, you just are in it for the money and when you ruin the county you are just gonna pack up and leave..... Easy to see.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:04pm · 1

Joni Williams Poulnott Jan Williams. Let's see how well they'd fare tangling with me and you over our land use.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:05pm · 4

Denise Krackenberger Cindy..thank you. You are finding what I am finding in my career. It is hard to carry on with the flow of what everyone else is doing when you clearly know better. Our conscience becomes astutely aware that there is an ethical conflict within us knowing what is right and seeing what is going on. Interestingly...I was just praying as I was watching Episode 3 of Ty bollinger's The Truth About Cancer...and asking God to show me where He wants me and what I am to do. If you don't understand something..that's ignorance. If you know something is wrong and just keep going with the flow..that is sin. I don't know how to fight tyrannical entities alone but I know if we follow God's prompting, He will lead us to fight the good fight regardless of what everyone else is doing.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:06pm · 1

Susan Sewell Bagley I don't know any details of this transaction but this man has the RIGHT to sell his land. The precedent has been set with the developments next to him. I, like you, Cindy, traveled these roads when they were dirt. My heart goes out to him. Thanks for all you do.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:07pm · 8

Scott Echols There is a very distinct arbitrary problem that lies between the problem and the problem child...the "Land Owner" has entitlement and his request should be granted verses "Someone" that has acquired residency with little contribution to Forsyth County, GA.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:07pm · 4

Melissa Thomas Durand Well said cindy. He has a right to sell his property and plan it out before he does instead of his family dealing with it. I know about the sediment problem. We had to dredge our lake after north high was built and then all the ball fields they did around it. All the dirt ran into our lake that's been there forever.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:10pm · 2

Jinger Williams-Davison You cannot let the harsh words of a few to get you down. You have been such a big part of helping the Boys Lodge as well as the rest of the social service non-profits in our county. Your reputation will speak for you. People get really brave behind blogs and anonymous letters. Keep your eyes on the prize and don't let the opinion of fools divert you. You were here before they came and will probably be here when they leave. :)

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:10pm · 2

Darlene Davis I'm glad I voted for you Cindy & I'm glad you were there for the man with the cane....This whole thing is a mess & it amazes me what we CAN'T do with our own land & the things the country let other people do to our land.....we are kind of in a pickle ourselves. I really well be praying everything turns out in the man's favor:-)

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:14pm · 1

Joel E. Natt Cindy I don't know the entire story. At one point someone asked me to sign a petition against this rezoning and I refused cause no one could sight specifics on the changes to existing agreed zoning and land use agreements. The problem is larger than politics and people, it is more about how we have gotten to a point of not understanding all the aspects of what monsters we have created.

Land use and the revenue/tax generation of it has become our new Franklinstein.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:21pm

Charlotte Starnes Phillips Cindy, will this comes up again before it is voted on? If so can you let us know when and the time and all of us can show up and yell no when they get start to vote.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:26pm

Cindy Jones Mills The fact is everyone wants to live here. They like the schools, the parks, the location and the taxes. Most that complain the loudest are people who moved here in the past year. Then they want to close the gate. They want no one to come in after them. I have had tons of emails saying I moved here to get away from growth leaving Gwinnett and Fulton. Seriously? You don't use a computer or look at a community before you move there. We've been one of the fastest growing county's in the nation. I know it's about balance. I take it very seriously. I worry about it and look at all kinds of ways to make it better. I just don't think the answer is to strip the man of his rights.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:30pm · 1

Beverly Edenfield Amen and Amen!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:32pm · 6

Judy Mundy Austin I agree. Why can't this hard working, honest man sell his land?

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:34pm · 2

[Ed. Note: THE MAN IS NOT AN OWNER OF RECORD.]

Linda Manske Ebert Cindy. Seems to me that if his request meets the requirements of the land use map, approve it. The problem may be with the map itself (actually, I've felt we've had issues with it for over a decade). But the map that is valid now is what governs the decision . Right?

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:40pm · 2

Hilda Thomas Hang in there Cindy!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:44pm · 3

Paul Warbington That's why I moved from Forsyth county! Too many move in yuppies around

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:46pm · 1

Cindy Jones Mills They would say they aren't stopping him from selling his property. They are just stopping him from selling it for the use the buyer is wanting to buy it for. I get that the buyer shouldn't get everything that they want. I get that it is about compromise and negotiating terms, densities, house size, etc. That part of the process works. What I don't get is when you do all that and people still don't want it and elected officials cave to their pressure. Make it be good, make it be better but don't stop the man from being able to get a fair price on his property. If they won't let this be developed in any way, they have caused the man to have only one option for selling and that would be to another horse farm. People aren't really buying horse farms now and they sure don't want one that sits between two subdivisions. The irony is the man hung on to his land through tremendous growth. He altered his life for the multitudes that moved in all around him and now that he is old and wants to sell his land, the same people that changed his life, are taking his right to sell away.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:51pm · 9

Jonathan Holbrook It just chaps my south side to see the " not in my backyard" crowd who have moved to this great county & state with the "It's all about me" attitude. If they were so wise then why didn't they fix the place they moved from instead of fleeing from it? Common sense is a fading characteristic. Fight the good fight.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:57pm · 8

Greg Orr The best way to describe some of these folks is Locusts. They wish to use up the land, prevent others from using their land the way they can, and then move on to the next "greener pasture"

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:58pm · 6

Cindy Jones Mills Judy Mundy Austin, you are talking about impacting the value of his property from probably 90-100,000 an acre down to 40,000 an acre. I am just guessing on numbers. I haven't sold any land in this area in a very long time. I would safely say that a couple of planning commission members are easily cutting his land value into half. For some people, their land is their retirement. It is what they have hung on to and paid taxes on in hopes of it appreciating and being able to sell for a good profit. Can you imagine if you tried to drain these people's 401K's or their retirement? Can you imagine thinking you should have that right to do so? I am NOT for high density all over the county. I am ALL about planning and having good, quality growth. I am looking at every avenue possible to bring better quality developments to North Forsyth. I hate some of the things that were zoned before I got into office but when one side has come down and they are in accordance to the plans put out by the county, then it is wrong to deny just because a lot of people don't want it next to them. It wasn't adult entertainment. It was houses that were going to sell for higher prices than one subdivision it was adjacent to. I think it was around 18 acres and 30 homes. I could be off a little but it wasn't huge by any means. It was huge to this man that owned it.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 11:01pm · 7

Margie Charles Thank you Cindy for voicing this to Forsyth Countians. Slowly our county with all the beautiful land is disappearing. The day will soon come when we have a traffic nightmare and we will be forced to move from our communities that we grew up in and love so much.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 11:03pm · 4

Cindy Jones Mills The sad thing is the people who have loved their land so much are being punished for hanging on to it all these years. Those people are the ones that will suffer the most.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 11:04pm · 8

Donna Anderson Loggins Thank God for people like you Cindy Jones Mills that will stick up for us natives. I guess all these folks that have moved in here think the gate should have been closed and the key thrown away when they moved in here. These people need to understand we didn't protest the house they live in that we have had to watch change all around us and that the property that we own and have lived on all our lives are our 401 k our retirement. Who in a million years would have thought our county would have grown to the point it has now. What they don't know is that maybe we want to sell to get away from these kind of people who think they own the county.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 11:11pm · 11

Cindy Jones Mills It shouldn't be about an us and a them. We should all respect each other's rights and work together for the good of the county. I have very close friends that moved here and they don't feel it is their right to dictate to other people. It's not a large group and some of the people in charge of these groups give out bogus information just to get them all up in arms. They have links that these people click on and send the BOC hundreds of emails in a minute. Each email says the exact same thing and when I respond back to them and point out errors they have written they say oh, I didn't really know anything about it, I was asked to send it. It's like sheep herding and people don't think for themselves anymore. They just regurgitate what they are being told. I know people are right to fear growth and they should be listened to and heard with healthy suggestions on how to alleviate traffic and develop better plans but they shouldn't try to take away the rights of the property owner that has faithfully cared for and paid for their land.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 11:18pm · 10

Cindy Jones Mills And when did we get to the place that people call landowners evil? They say the evil greedy landowner. Did someone not own the land that their subdivision was built on at some time? We can all remember when there was nothing but pastures up and down our roads but we were proud for people when they could sell their property. We weren't jealous or mad because someone was making a dime and it wasn't us. And we adapted. We changed our lives so others could live here. Linda Cole and I would both ride our bikes and meet on Bannister road between our two houses. We would sit and talk on the road. There wasn't that many cars coming by and we knew most people that drove by. Would I have loved to have that for my granddaughter? Yes but if I had that, I wouldn't have these excellent high schools, parks and libraries that we have. I wouldn't have a Publix or Kroger or a bank close by. It's a trade out. You lose some good and get some good. We know that and we accept that. We have lived through it. 27,000 people lived here when I graduated in 1980 and we are closing in on 200,000 now. I think we have all endured and adapted and I just don't know why they can't do that too.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 11:28pm · 15

Cindy Jones Mills I think they are putting forth great effort in rallying their NIMBY's and I think we have to do a better job in rallying the landowners and the people who respect the rights of the landowners. You don't have to own a farm to respect property rights. We have a ton of people that have moved here that respect the person's right to sell their land. We just need to get them to make their voices heard. When things get so out of balance, and they are SO out of balance, their needs to be a stabilization. This happened years ago when they tried to slip in the Etowah subarea plan and landowners filled the commissioner's room demanding to be heard and demanding their rights. Business owners that want a thriving economy need to join in too. Commissioners that vote only with the crowd need to get confused by which crowd they need to be following. Now that would be fun to watch.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 11:39pm · 8

David Leathers BMF is proud of madam commish!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 11:55pm · 2

Kathy Anderson Prince Thank you Cindy! You have hit on some great points. As said above, Amen and amen. It does sound like some of us "good ole gals and boys" need to start standing up and being heard. It warms my heart to see that there are still people that believe in the landowners rights. Thank you for speaking out on this.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 12:11am · 3

JJ Seay Cindy, what's the best thing you can tell us to do? What'd be the best thing we could do for this guy (show up at the next meeting, email or pick up the phone and call someone, any suggestions)? I think here would be a good place to get something started.

I read your post because Jeremy Skinner shared your status. Help us help the fella out, what would you have us do?

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 12:17am · 2

Cindy Jones Mills The BOC will vote on it I think on June.19th. There's already been a public hearing last night so the only time anyone could speak in support would be during the public comment period that starts shortly after 5 pm. The property is in District 5 on Settles Bridge Road or maybe it's just Settles road. If described correctly to me the property sits between Grand Cascades and Champions Run subdivisions. I didn't get the man's name. I felt so bad for him. They had the handicapped lot blocked off by workers on Main Street and he had to walk pretty far with his cane just to get to the meeting. I would think you could write emails to the BOC saying you support this zoning and why. The problem is the planning commission kept raising the density or lot sizes so much (as the crowd cheered them on) that the way they sent it to the BOC to vote on probably ensures the developer won't buy it. I don't know that for sure. It would be likely. It was like a sporting event. Two PC members made 10 amendments to knock down the density when it was only 1,75 to begin with in a res 3 zoning and when the green shirts liked it they would scream and when they hated it they would boo and scream who's on the take or who's paying you off. I'm not kidding. They did it long enough that finally the D5 PC caved in to the pressure of the crowd and he was given a large applause when he did. That's how unprofessional our process has become and here sits this one man with his cane all alone, enduring this shame, all because he wanted to sell his property I'm doing all I can but more people have to speak out. Only one side is being heard. I have faith there's some folks left in our county that cares about property rights. .i don't know what else to do but let people know what's happening to our county.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 1:03am · 4

Linda Manske Ebert Cindy Jones Mills the way you are processing this issue is why I voted for you and will vote for you again. I appreciate your heart, your common sense and your willingness to stand for what is right.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 6:38am · 8

Vicki Rennick Your approach to this problem is heart warming. We are very lucky to have you on the BOC.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 6:46am · 5

Leola Estes Prather His right to sell his land cant be denied,long as it conforms to surrounding use,these dang folks are move ins that thought when they moved to Forsyth County they had moved to the country,they dont think that at one time the property they live on was same as this man's land........I'd tell him to get a good lawyer & sue the county if his request is denied.......I would have had our s been denied.......stuff like this really flips my switch.....the mind set of majority of people living in Forsyth County now......

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 7:59am · 4

Ethan Underwood Last night I was at a public participation meeting for a zoning application, and a lady said to a room full of people that the seller of the property was just "white trash." After the meeting, this same lady's husband told me the property owner was "pimping" her land.

People don't have to like, or even agree, when neighbors decide to develop their properties, but I am exasperated at the disrespect they show to others. We need to learn how to respectfully disagree.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:01am · 7

Leola Estes Prather Who's district 5's comm?? and on planning board??

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:07am

Cindy Jones Mills Jim Boff is the BOC and a Mr. Hoyt is his PC but they weren't leading this charge. Mr. Hoyt made reasonable motions that were booed. The motions made with no regard to the man were made by the district 2 and district 3 planning commissioners. I'm sure there's political reasons for their actions because it wasn't their district and yet they put forth 10 amendments to change the zoning. I don't even know what the density is down to now. It's 17,000 sq ft lots and res 3, what he applied for, is currently at 10,000 sq ft. He could have asked for 2.5 density but it was way under 2 when the crap shoot started. The point is if we have a government that bases their decisions on popularity then we need more pro property rights folks to get involved. That's not how government was intended to work and yes the county will get sued but trust me, these people do not care.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:17am · 2

Cindy Jones Mills I will try to post a link to the video of the meeting when it is up on the county site. I'll get a time code so you can go right to this zoning. I want you to see for yourself how it unfolded. I'm sure the video will be posted many places because another video person was there recording.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:27am

Cindy Jones Mills Then you can base your own opinion but you still need to see the facts of what was requested and see the densities not just adjacent but in that area.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:29am

Chirag Patel His land was there before they put subdivision on Both side of his land. His land value is decreased due to ruthless, I only care about myself people lives around his land. He should sue them for lost of his property value.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:54am

Avery Stone I ignorant to this situation totally. But if I were a betting man,I would bet it was in South Forsyth!

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 9:16am · 1

Alan Neal Personally, I think there were a lot of people that live in the nearby communities who were fed conspiracy theories and visions of these smaller lots looking like section 8 housing to prey on the fears of people and have them come out. The groups at these meetings blow up and die out - most are concerned only when in their backyard. There are a handful of core people that beat the drum, claiming they are promoting smart growth, claiming they are for the environment, and claiming they are asserting property rights while pushing policies that fly in the face of the movements that have nationally been termed "smart growth", that flies in the face of environmental conservation (this zoning was a perfect example) and prescribe to the reason the county is seeing its land rapidly diminish. The number of people moving here will be the same, but if they consume 1 acre per person that moves here vs 1/3, then we will see our open land diminish at 3 times the pace.

These ideas the groups espouse to are also the reason why we were recently recognized as the number one sprawling county in the nation - and the end to these groups means accomplishes this kind of result while degrading property values for land owners. They want to push zonings that don't have open space requirements so we have no preserved green areas. Then they push for us to buy our way to open space like we did with the last park bond. I won't support a park/greenspace bond until we have a working ordinance that tries to incentivize us to get open space through new development rather than having to pay for it. On sites with numerous streams and wetlands, negotiations for larger lot sizes just shoves all the lots closer to the streams, reducing the environmental protection - higher zonings often require open space which is generally focused to providing perpetual protection for these areas. Some of these same people complain their yards and pools flood all the time - well guess what, some of those big yards were mainly built in floodplain and all the stuff in their yards, all that fertilizer gets washed into the streams. The idea that this somehow improves the quality of our life or protects our community rings hollow.

It's not even just a concern for the rights of land owner's, but the right for people to buy the type of home they want. Rather than letting market forces choose our housing, We need to provide housing for the people that work in our county, not just for the commuters.

I am very concerned for our future. These groups are loud, they are organized, and while the minority, they are building a media stream to try to influence a large voting bloc of the county, and working to do so by trying to get their members into HOA board positions and use HOA's as a means to disperse their media - to people who are not involved enough to ever hear another opinion. They act almost like a PAC, and with this election you can see some candidates readily pandering to them. They put out voting guides. Much of it seems to have turned into a group think, where consensus is more important than fact, and any opposing view is part of a grand conspiracy. The problem is that they are the only ones showing up at the meetings, the only ones speaking out, while they have lobbied hard to take us back to countywide voting so a handful of precints in the south they try to influence will be able to control all five commission district elections in the county, If you don't support these ideas, understand that with the current trajectory and no action, it will be a matter of time before these policies become those of the local governing authority, so please get involved, make your opinions known, show up at planning commission and board of commissioners meetings and show your support for restraint in local governments assertion of its police powers if you don't believe it is right, and be sure to GET OUT AND VOTE! Pay close attention to the Michael Williams/Jack Murphy race - Michael williams has vowed to try to bring back voting of all county commissioners at large, which would destroy the representation of those that don't live a the handful of South Forsyth Precints.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 9:52am · 5

Matthew Daniel I believe the county needs to put up signs on every road entering Forsyth County saying" FULL" .

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 9:53am

Cindy Jones Mills What Alan Neal said is spot on. They want a candidate to win that will push their agenda and they want nothing more than to get me out of office. They only want people in that will be their puppets. They don't care if I'm working tirelessly for drug summits and road improvements because all they care about is zonings and closing the gate. Do you think they care about improving Crystal Cove area or starting a drug awareness council? I even pushed to require streams be included on site plans and am trying to improve the tree ordinance but that doesn't matter. They only see one portion of the picture and they don't even see what's truthful in that. Then they get personal and start writing horrible untrue remarks about me and my family. One thing you can count on is I will keep fighting for the little people until my last day in office and I don't care if they have a 1000 green shirts in the audience. I will be fair to ALL involved. I will listen to ALL sides and I will base my decisions on facts.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:04am · 7

Mell Leggett After the Lanier Golf course law suit, it would not be wise for the county to deny a change of zoning if public water and sewer is directly available. Surrounded by subdivisions, it would seem the Highest and Best use of the old man's land would be for a change of use to residential. Forsyth County is in the top 5 of growth for the U.S. So a proper future land use is very important. Thus our commissioners and planning department have wisely implemented very, very strict development regulations for set backs, green space, and set aside ample park areas. We have more park areas than any other county in the metro area. The second phase of the Big Creek green belt is being built right now; it will eventually extend from Sawnee Mtn. to join with the Big Creek trail from Roswell. If you have never biked or walked it, you are missing one of the greatest opportunities Forsyth has to offer. Forsyth County purchased a huge tract of land in '08, if I remember correctly, to expand the Sawnee Mountain nature preserve and hiking trails. If you've never visited the nature preserve you are missing out. How many have visited the historic Pools Mill bridge and park? I am an avid outdoors man and when you start to research and LOOK, you realize there is more to Forsyth than your neighborhood pool and tennis courts. Granted being in the real estate industry gives me good insight of what is going on, but the future planning book and map is a good solid plan. I applaud those who implemented the plan to make sure we have the best recreation and environmental protection standards.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:12am · 4

Cindy Jones Mills I really forgot to write the most disgusting act that happened. After the two planning commissioners made their ten amendments to destroy the development and they finally got the D5 planning commissioner to cave and go with them, they then voted AGAINST the zoning. They got what they wanted and then voted against it anyway. That's wrong on every level to me.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:15am

Mell Leggett They should save the $$$$ in a future law suit and implement the plan for the Lanierland Music Park on Jot-Em-Down purchased over 6 years ago.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:23am · 1

Gary Cooper Alan is right on. We need more people from this area and those who believe in property rights to show up and voice support for when anti-growth groups try to sway a vote at the planning commission and board of commission meetings. Cindy and Alan are both right when they say this one group of people are so determined to decide who YOUR county commissioner is that they are working tirelessly to elect a man who has vowed to give them that power. This group had a split decision last Tuesday when only one of their candidates won and another one lost. This is their last effort and you need to pay close attention to the Senate D27 runoff that happens in July. While our sitting Senator is not perfect, he hasn't vowed to take your county commission vote away either.

As for these groups, if you really wish know how they act, just look up the trifecta of Facebook groups - Forsyth HOA and Homeowners, Focus on Forsyth, and Fix Forsyth Traffic. Don't let the names of these groups fool you. They stand for one goal and that is to control what is happening in Forsyth County. They don't care about homeowners or fixing traffic. If they did, they wouldn't be attacking the one commissioner who is actually trying to do something about it.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:27am · 6

Matt Payne Cindy, your last post reminds me of another commissioner a few years back that brought forth a high density zoning and presented it from his district. It was (I believe) non-conforming, yet did a great job of getting three commissioners to come on board to ensure it's passing. When it came time to vote, the before mentioned three commissioners voted to approve the high-density development and yet the commissioner that brought it forth voted against it, thus maintaining the "No Growth" labeled commissioner.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:41am · 2

Cindy Jones Mills Sneaky, ugly politics. It's all about contol.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:49am

Steve Thomason I'm glad you represent us, Cindy. It's ugly out there right now…

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:53am · 4

Bert Durand Very well said Cindy. Thank you for what you do for that little pay check.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 11:29am · 3

Stacey Barfield Posey This issue and the comments posted have me shaking my head. My family has lived in tis county since 1973 and we consider it our forever home. The growth has been astronomical but I always tell others that it h's grown so much because it is such a great place to live! I have lived off of Buford Dam Road since 1986. When at home, it still feels like a country neighborhood but 5 min away is Marketplace Blvd. I though I would mind, but I don't. I would fight with my very last breath if anyone tried to tell me what I or how I could or could not do with my home and land. Everyone involved needs to reassess their motives and actions and do whatt is best for "our" county. Enough of all this! Let's remember to treat each other with replant kindness!

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 11:49am · 2

Stacey Barfield Posey Please excuse my typos! Still trying to get use to my tablet.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 11:51am · 1

Angela Lowe Wright Our world is more about be politically correct and not offending people than just doing what's right. Obama and his ring leaders are the political police and they tell us how we should all think. Lord forbid the poor man gets to sell his home a developer to build another subdivision just like they did beside him where they live...????? I think it's pretty sad that those people benefit from living in our community can just railroad this man who has owned that land for decades. The needs of a few always out way the whole community benefit. Sad very sad and I'm sick to death of the entitled people of this world thinking what they want is the only thing that is important. Me, me, me

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 12:07pm · 2

Leola Estes Prather Who are d2 & D3 comm & planning ??.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 1:19pm

Cindy Jones Mills D2 - BOC - Brian Tam
PC - Jayne Iglesias
D3 - BOC - Todd Levent
PC. - Greg Dolezal
My office just told me that the last amendment suggested that passed put the lot to 14,500, not the 17,000 I said. They started higher but it kept being voted down. It just kept changing and then it got approved and the planning members who suggested it voted against it.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 2:57pm

Leola Estes Prather If I were owner,I'd say fine,I'll see you all in court......No one,no matter how big or important or thinks they have all the answers to solve Forsyth County problems,can deny a property owner the right to sell or develop their land...these folks that are objecting to this should have known that sooner or later most likely open land would be developed......what size lots does subdivisions on each size have??

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 4:38pm · 1

Alan Neal I'll make a clarification on Michael Williams position on countywide voting - I misunderstood comments saying that if citizens in South Forsyth don't like district voting they should vote for Michael Williams, but Michael Williams has said he supports by district voting with 2 at large commissioners. I wouldn't want to mislead someone on his position, and I apologize for not better vetting it. Growing up in Cherokee, I think having the Commission chair at large made for a pretty good system, but considering the amount of extra work that would be required at the courthouse, I think if that route were ever taken it should be considered whether you could consolidate to four districts with one commissioner at large to keep the number to 5.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 7:52pm · 1

Cindy Jones Mills Grand Cascades is older and doesn't have sewer so the lots are larger. Their subdivision has had major issues to do with water because their lots went all the way to the water and caused major silt and sedimentation issues.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:32pm · 1

Cindy Jones Mills I wasn't on the board then so I should say that was what I was told.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:33pm

Cindy Jones Mills Leola Estes Prather, I've asked staff to give me densities of zonings in a one mile radius and average of densities done in the past 18 months. It won't be denied or I doubt that. If it's approved with an extremely low density it won't sell. Why is this the tract to be treated this way. It's only around 20 acres. I've also asked for a list of everything else the planning commission voted on Tuesday night and what density they gave on all of those. Why treat this man so much worse? One lady is writing on another site that I'm lying that the man didn't even have a cane. She wasn't even there. Watch the video. I don't lie.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:40pm · 3

Leola Estes Prather Because they think nothing should bother their little corner of the world......good thing it's not me those folks are having to deal with,cause I'd show'em what for,.....I was of that mind set when we did sell,no body was gonna tell me what I could do with land that I worked & paid for.....hope this owner is advised of his rights.......

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 8:50pm · 1

Gloria Richards Perry Cindy, my husband and I own a nice piece of property in Ellijay. We were strong armed by a group of folks who wanted our land. Long story short, we had to fight EPA AND EPD to keep our land because those trying to strong arm us made a claim about sediment runoff from our pasture. They were going to fine us $10,000 per day. We had the ability to fight and we won in court, but not all people have that ability. So sad when good and decent people are wronged. All because of greed.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 9:07pm · 3

Gary Cooper Wow, seems like this thread sent the special interests into a fit tonight.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 9:34pm

Cindy Jones Mills I am so blessed that I can't see it. I blocked a couple of my biggest haters that kept writing fiction about me. I know that I'm 'friends' with people on here that sent what I wrote to them but I don't care. I knew when I took a stand I would be chastised but it's my job to inform others about what is going on.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 9:51pm · 9

Deborah Chambers I'm block by some of them, too! Oh well, not my problem. I'm the least vocal person on that site. Amazing they don't want me to read anything they write.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:22pm · 2

Kathy Anderson Prince I appreciate the clarification on Williams, but i do know he has the support of one of the biggest "no growth " people behind him. Wouldn't want to see him go in office. Cindy you keep up the good work. we're behind you all the way.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 10:48pm · 2

Ruby Martin Yes, Cindy. It is a scary time when People put themselves above Others Pride and feeling in their own property and the life they have lived on that property around those neighbors. God help the cruel, selfishness in so many people these days. I do pray that The Little Humble Man does get to sell his property and enjoy some things in his later years. There is NO JUSTICE in the way the Elders are treated these days.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 11:05pm · 4

Phil Christopher Bless you Cindy .

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 2:18am · 1

Brittany Amos Cindy I was there and can attest to your story as the truth as well as the little old man with the cane. It was scary hearing all of them attack and boo the commissioners as the voting was going on. To me it seemed like they were bullying the commissioners. I wonder how each of them would like us to get involved in the selling of their own property. It's fine to voice your concerns, but to try and ask the board to completely deny the application was ridiculous. Who are they to tell a man he can't sell his land he's owned all his life? Keep up the good work and don't let them bully u.

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 3:24pm · 3

Deborah Chambers Cindy, is the video out there yet? When is the next meeting for the vote ?

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 3:29pm

Cindy Jones Mills It's the third Thursday. I think June 19th at 5 pm.

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:27pm

Cindy Jones Mills Brittany Amos, thanks for verifying my account. They are saying I made it up and that the man didn't have a cane. I walked into the building beside him. I felt horrible that all our handicap parking was taken and he had to park far away. I had no idea he was the property owner until he walked down to the podium to speak. I felt so sorry for him. I turned to one commissioner beside me and said how can you not feel for this man and he said I do and I know he's right but these people endorsed me and I have to support them. I thought how is that NOT serving special interest? Just wrong no matter how you look at it.

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:31pm · 3

[Ed. Note: THE MAN IS NOT AN OWNER ON THE ZONING APPLICATION.]

Cindy Jones Mills The lady from Roswell has her video up but it's probably on the county's website now too.

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:32pm

Burt Thomas If I had the money, I'd buy that man's land at full price and put up a carnival....so they could look at that all the time...not to mention the carnies.

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:43pm · 6

Brittany Amos He was sitting behind me on the very last row. He even had his cell phone ring without being on silent and a lady with a green shirt on kept turning around giving him ugly looks for answering his phone. As one of your friends said above, people really don't have respect for the elderly anymore. I'm praying his land gets sold and that God blesses him for all he is enduring!

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:46pm · 1

Jan Hamilton I thought in Georgia law that a deed was supreme. These people make me sick that go into business
for themselves knowing they are abusing the rights of others. I hope this gentleman can reach into his soul and find the strength to stand against these people.

Cindy, thank you for your concern and your hard work in your attempt to be fair to all. It is a gift. He has the deed; they do not and therein lies the greed and jealousies. Is he a veteran? If he is Congressman Graves's office will help him.

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 8:34pm · 1

Cindy Jones Mills I don't know Jan Hamilton. I don't know him at all. A man just sent me an email and he warned me that I was ruining my reputation for sticking up for this man and I'd find it difficult to be reelected. If it means I have to denounce my beliefs to be elected then so be it. I would rather not serve than serve something I don't believe in. Compromises can be met without this man forfeiting his rights.

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 8:53pm · 5

Jan Hamilton If he is emailing you about what you consider to be important it is probably because he feels guilty that he doesn't have the constitution to acknowledge the importance of a property deed that this gentleman has paid taxes on for years and years. You might remind him this man's deed is his reputation.

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 9:13pm

Regina H Bennett Would be nice if they all packed up and went back where they came from, that was the saying years ago. if you don't like it, go home!

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 9:14pm · 4

Gary Tallant Lewis Grizzard said it well..."Delta is ready when you are"...

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 9:18pm · 4

William Flynn Who wants to haul in manure and dump it close to those houses. I know that isn't right either

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 9:19pm · 2

Jan Hamilton lol Gary...loved him and have his book "If I ever get back to Georgia I'll Nail my Feet to the Ground"

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 9:21pm · 2

Deborah Tatum Storey I have been blocked on that other site and I do not know why Cindy Jones Mills. I have not posted over there in ages and could care less that I am blocked because those posting are the same old "opining", cutting and pasting and camera toting nut jobs.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 4:49pm · 2

Cindy Jones Mills Deborah Tatum Storey, they only want people on there that think like them. They don't want anyone on there that likes me or Piper for sure.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 5:20pm · 1

Nancy Holbrook Heard Well said!

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 6:58pm · 1

Nydia Tisdale

Candidate Cindy Jones Mills’ campaign rhetoric

Post by Nydia Tisdale » May 31st, 2014, 8:20 pm

TROUBLE — Forsyth County & Cumming

Multi-generational residents Cindy Jones Mills and Tim Hubbard speak about the long-standing trouble between Forsyth County and the City of Cumming at the Tea Party debate April 16, 2012.

CINDY MILLS: I've watched our government up close for many years and frankly I've lost faith in the system. I've looked on at these supposed public servants serve their own special interests instead of the interests of the taxpayers. I've watched as they squander our money foolishly, betrayed our trust, and used their positions to improve their own personal lives and fortunes and not that of the citizens.

A true leader doesn't resort to bullying and a true leader knows you must show respect to your constituents and to your fellow board members in order to be effective.

When your commission meetings begin to mimic a Jerry Springer show, you're in trouble and I want it to stop. I'm not a politician, but I am a citizen that cares about our county.

Because it's something I have been so proud of my entire life is where I come from and I'm very proud of the district that was, that my family's eight generations into that district.

TIM HUBBARD: That's why I think folks is upset between the county and the city because the county ain't got a clue what's going on until it's done passed. And then you go — What? And that's the way it is and that's why there's, uh, there's trouble right now between the county and the city because it's just like — I didn't know that! And we need to get this and sit down and have meetings and get everybody together and on one page and let the people know. Thank you.

CINDY MILLS: I applaud the Tea Party for the way they've been sending people to meetings and watching because it can make us all be better as public servants. The more people engage in the process and the more that they watch what's going on. It's a lot of money. It needs to be watched and I think anytime that you can, um, people know they're being watched, it's good and that's why I started the Focus on Forsyth site when I did. I just think that it's good for people to know what's going on.

I think that it's very important for a board to be united especially when you're going, I mean, I think that you can watch the Mayor [Henry Ford Gravitt] and how he works with his City Council and I think he, in forty-some-odd years he's had one "no" vote, huh.

AUDIENCE laughs.

CINDY MILLS: And I think that there's, I mean, we can't hardly agree on anything and it's, I mean, we need to be united and we need to have five county commissioners that represent the county and the county's interests.

AUDIENCE applauds.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Video by Nydia Tisdale for AboutForsyth.com.
Please $upport Nydeos via PayPal.

Nydia Tisdale

OWNERS: Sharon Baker, Harry Harris, Terry Harris

Post by Nydia Tisdale » May 31st, 2014, 8:25 pm

Public hearing for Ridgeline Land Planning, Inc. zoning application ZA3667 before the Forsyth County Planning Commission and Board of Commissioners Quorum on Tuesday, May 27, 2014.

Self-proclaimed seller Phillip Baker is not an owner of record in zoning application ZA3667.

The three property owners are, in fact, Sharon Baker, Harry Harris and Terry Harris.

The three property owners are listed in the zoning application, property owner authorization affidavit, property tax bills, deeds and certificate of title.

Phillip Baker is not an authorized agent of the property owners pursuant to the following:
  • PROPERTY OWNER(S) AUTHORIZATION AFFIDAVIT:

Notice to Applicant.

This application must be signed by the owner(s) as listed on the deed of record for the subject property.

Only the owner or authorized agent (i.e. applicant or representing attorney) may speak on behalf of this application at the public hearing.

The undersigned hereby swear that he/she/they is/are the owner(s) of the subject property as identified on this application.

I/We hereby authorize the authorized agent or attorney listed on the front of this application to speak and act on behalf of the owner(s) in pursuit of the rezoning ... application on this property.

I/We realize that any action granted for this property will be binding on the property regardless of ownership.
Phillip Baker can certainly speak for himself in favor or in opposition to the zoning application; however, Mr. Baker is not authorized to speak on behalf of the three owners.

Nydia Tisdale

Phillip Baker is not an owner of record

Post by Nydia Tisdale » May 31st, 2014, 8:30 pm

Self-described seller Phillip Baker addresses the Forsyth County Planning Commission and Board of Commissioner Quorum during the public hearing for zoning application ZA3667 for Ridgeline Land Planning, Inc. on Tuesday, May 27, 2014.

Phillip Baker is not an owner of record.

Phillip Baker is not named in the zoning application.

Phillip Baker is not named in the property owner authorization affidavit.

Phillip Baker is not named in the property tax bill.

Phillip Baker is not named in the deed.

Phillip Baker is not named in the certificate of title.

Nonetheless, Phillip Baker convinced Commissioner Cindy Jones Mills that he was an owner.

Nydia Tisdale

Zoning Application ZA 3667 Ridgeline Land Planning, Inc.

Post by Nydia Tisdale » May 31st, 2014, 9:00 pm

Has anyone actually read the zoning application for Ridgeline Land Planning, Inc. ZA3667 on behalf of the three landowners — Harry Harris, Terry Harris and Sharon Baker?

Nydia Tisdale

Quit Claim Deed from Phillip Baker to Sharon Baker

Post by Nydia Tisdale » May 31st, 2014, 10:00 pm

Forsyth County Land Records Book 6089, Page 597-598

Nydia Tisdale

Chairman Pam Bowman wants just one more minute!

Post by Nydia Tisdale » June 1st, 2014, 11:00 am

Just one more minute!

Forsyth County Planning Commission chair Pam Bowman made so many motions for JUST ONE MORE MINUTE that she lost track of time during the public hearing.

One motion for an additional five minutes for both sides would have been much more efficient than to continuously interrupt speakers to add JUST ONE MORE MINUTE.

Nydia Tisdale

Commissioner Cindy Jones Mills rants on Facebook

Post by Nydia Tisdale » June 1st, 2014, 12:00 pm

Nydia Tisdale

Phillip Baker is not “One of the property owners”

Post by Nydia Tisdale » June 2nd, 2014, 9:00 am

Contentious rezoning clears planning board
County commission will review plan next

ForsythNews.com
By Jennifer Sami
May 30, 2014

FORSYTH COUNTY — A green-clad crowd filled the Forsyth County Administration Building on Tuesday night for the county’s planning board meeting.

The group, made up mostly of residents from the Grand Cascades and Champions Run subdivisions in south Forsyth, was there in solidarity against a residential development proposed nearby that they fear is too dense and could cause sediment issues.

Ridgeline Lane Planning Inc. is seeking permission to build 32-single family residential lots on a 21.7-acre property at Settles Road and Thunder Gulch Pass. ...

One of the property owners, Phillip Baker, countered that the residents were allowed to inspect the property, but “they stalled.”

Baker added that the construction of the opponents’ subdivision was itself responsible for the sediment problem, which has nearly filled his own pond with silt.

MORE ON LINK.

Nydia Tisdale

PROPERTY OWNER AUTHORIZATION AFFIDAVIT

Post by Nydia Tisdale » June 2nd, 2014, 10:00 am

PROPERTY OWNER(S) AUTHORIZATION AFFIDAVIT:

Notice to Applicant.

This application must be signed by the owner(s) as listed on the deed of record for the subject property.

Only the owner or authorized agent (i.e. applicant or representing attorney) may speak on behalf of this application at the public hearing.

The undersigned hereby swear that he/she/they is/are the owner(s) of the subject property as identified on this application.

I/We hereby authorize the authorized agent or attorney listed on the front of this application to speak and act on behalf of the owner(s) in pursuit of the rezoning ... application on this property.

I/We realize that any action granted for this property will be binding on the property regardless of ownership.

Nydia Tisdale

Comments on Forsyth County Commissioner Cindy Jones Mills’ Facebook Rant

Post by Nydia Tisdale » June 1st, 2018, 7:55 am

• Mike Nyden shared your photo. Very telling and insightful.

June 1, 2014 at 9:07am

• Lori Wexler Telling and insightful on CJM or on the adjacent property owners? I was there, and it didn't go down like that. First of all, old guy with the cane's name is not on the deed. Second of all, it wasn't about his right to sell "his" property but about changing from low density zoning in line with the area and the UDC to high density. Very sad also that an request to reschedule the hearing wasn't honored since it happened on the night of Lambert's graduation when several affected residents couldn't attend.

Sunday, June 1, 2014 at 12:42pm