HB 660 (SHARON SPRINGS) LEGAL OPINION -- "CITY LIGHT" DOA

Click link for list of topics. Membership is not required to read content or to watch Nydeos.
Relentless

HB 660 (SHARON SPRINGS) LEGAL OPINION -- "CITY LIGHT" DOA

Post by Relentless » September 12th, 2015, 1:47 am

Will uninformed residents of the proposed "City Light" of Sharon Springs vote for a bill that is considered unconstitutional?

Will Forsyth County's State delegation (Sen. Michael Williams, Rep. Sheri Gilligan, Rep. Geoff Duncan, and HB 660 sponsor Rep Mike Dudgeon) actually support a bill for a "City Light" that former Chief Justice of the Georgia Supreme Court Norman S. Fletcher states in his legal opinion is unconstitutional?

The concept of a "City Light" misleads our citizens, some of who are not paying attention, into believing that they will be voting for one entity ("city light"), but in reality, they will actually be getting a much larger entity (regular city), the only city provided for in the Georgia Constitution. There is no such entity as a "City Light".

Wake up sheeps! THIS IS A BAIT & SWITCH SCHEME of the highest order. And if passed, will result in tax increases not only for the future City of Sharon Springs residents, but also for all Forsyth County residents.

Former Justice Fletcher opines, "The specific question posed [to me] is whether the proposed charter of Sharon Springs, as presented through House Bill 660, complies with the Georgia Constitution. My opinion is that House Bill 660 violates the Georgia Constitution. But with that said, it is also my opinion that if passed, House Bill 660 would establish Sharon Springs as a Georgia municipality - just without the power and service restrictions contained in House Bill 660."