Attorneys Clint Garry Bearden and Collin Asher Gravitt

Click link for list of topics. Membership is not required to read content or to watch Nydeos.
Nydia Tisdale

Attorneys Clint Garry Bearden and Collin Asher Gravitt

Post by Nydia Tisdale » November 26th, 2015, 11:00 am

Local attorneys Collin Gravitt (left) and Clint Bearden are recent additions to the law firm of Boling Rice LLC. Gravitt is a native of Forsyth County and will practice out of the firm's Cumming location. Bearden is a native of Dawson County and will practice law out of the firm's Dawson County location.

Two new attorneys with local ties join Boling Rice

DawsonNews.com
December 14, 2008 5:00 a.m.

The law firm of Boling Rice has added two new associates, Clint Garry Bearden and Collin A. Gravitt, both of whom have been admitted to practice law in Georgia.

Gravitt, a Forsyth County native, received his undergraduate degree from the University of Georgia (cum laude) and his law degree from Mercer University (cum laude).

While at Mercer, Gravitt was involved in Phi Alpha Delta legal fraternity and the Student Advisement Committee and served on the executive board of the Student Bar Association.

A native of Dawson County, Bearden received his undergraduate (magna cum laude) and law school degrees from the University of Georgia.

While at Georgia, Bearden was involved in the Christian Legal Society, the Federalist Society and served as an ambassador for the dean of the UGA School of Law.

He also interned in the office of Superior Court Judge Jason Deal of the Northeastern Judicial Circuit, which includes Dawson and Hall counties.

Bearden will be joining the firm’s Dawson County office, where he will focus on estate planning, business organizations, real estate transactions and real property litigation.

Gravitt will be based in the firm’s Cumming office, where he will practice in the areas of estate planning, probate, corporate law, adoption and real estate law.

Founded in Cumming in 1946, Boling Rice offers a wide range of legal services.

For more information or assistance, contact (706) 344-3933 or go online at http://www.bolingrice.com.

Nydia Tisdale

Attorney Clint Garry Bearden

Post by Nydia Tisdale » November 26th, 2015, 11:23 am

Attorney Clint Garry Bearden kicks off the Georgia Republican Party rally for Governor Nathan Deal and then-U.S.-Senate-candidate David Perdue at Burt's Pumpkin Farm on Saturday, August 23, 2014. Nydeo still by Nydia Tisdale.

Three unknown and unidentified men — later learned to be Mack Burgess, Clint Bearden, and Tony Wooten — demand citizen journalist Nydia Tisdale turn off her camera, or leave. Tisdale was later arrested by a plain-clothes, off-duty deputy, Captain Henry Anthony Wooten, who is now a candidate for Dawson County Sheriff. Her arrest report follows.

Nydia Tisdale Arrest Report

Nydia Tisdale

Cumming Mayor Henry Ford Gravitt kicks camera out

Post by Nydia Tisdale » November 26th, 2015, 11:30 am

City of Cumming Mayor Henry Ford Gravitt kicks citizen journalist Nydia Tisdale and her video camera out of council chambers on Tuesday, April 17, 2012. VIDEO CREDIT: Nydia Tisdale.

“First of all, a little house cleaning. Chief [Casey] Tatum, if you would, remove the camera from the, from the auditorium. We don’t allow filming inside of the City Hall here unless it’s specific reasons. So, if you would remove the camera. That’s why we don’t have Comcast up here on the wall, we don’t allow that in here,” Mayor H. Ford Gravitt claims during the Cumming City Council meeting on Tuesday, April 17, 2012. VIDEO CREDIT: City of Cumming.

Nydia Tisdale

GMFTO 11/18/15 Dawson County - Nydia Tisdale Case

Post by Nydia Tisdale » November 26th, 2015, 11:00 pm

Good Morning From The Office, with Brian K. Pritchard, reacts to the indictments in the citizen journalist Nydia Tisdale case presented by District Attorney Lee Darragh to the Dawson County Grand Jury on Monday, November 16, 2015.

Pritchard reads the witness list and the juror list obtained from the Clerk of Court during the GMFTO show on Wednesday, November 18, 2015. Pritchard broke the #PumpkinGate story which has garnered state, national, and international attention.

Nydia Tisdale

Maret MacKenzie “Mack” Burgess

Post by Nydia Tisdale » November 27th, 2015, 11:00 am

In Memory of Maret MacKenzie "Mack" Burgess
September 25, 1989 - October 14, 2014
DignityMemorial.com

Maret Mackenzie "Mack" Burgess passed away October 14, 2014 at the age of 25. Mack was born in Roswell, Georgia, residing in Atlanta at the time of his death. Mack was the son of Missy and Banks Burgess of Roswell. Mack has a sister Sancken Burgess, of Denver, Colorado.

He graduated from Centennial High School in Roswell in 2008 and graduated in 2012 from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, magna cum laude, with a degree in Government Affairs and English. Mack was a brother of Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity and served as President of the UT chapter in 2011. He also published a weekly column in a campus newspaper.

Mack's post collegiate work, although brief, was impressive by any standard. Immediately following graduation, he successfully managed the re-election campaign of Stan Wise for Georgia Public Service Commission. The following week, he began work for the Hall County Chamber of Commerce, directing and managing the Lanier Islands Community Improvement District, bringing the project to fruition and a successful conclusion. He was an associate lobbyist with Chandler Haydon during the 2013 Legislative Session. Mack then assumed the role of campaign manager for Tricia Pridemore, who ran for United States Congress for Georgia's 11th Congressional District. Most recently, he became a Political Director in Governor Nathan Deal's re-election campaign. Mack was a rising star as a political strategist, and beloved by everyone in Georgia's political community, Republicans and Democrats alike. His work ethic was infectious. He will be deeply missed by all who had the great fortune to know him during his career in the political arena.

Mack was a recipient of the Shirley and Billy Weir scholarship, which provided a full scholarship to the University of his choice. Following his graduation, a great honor was bestowed on Mack in 2013 when he was selected as the first Weir Scholar to serve on the Selection Committee, whose duties include awarding the scholarship to other outstanding scholars.

Put simply, Mack Burgess was an exceptional young man. He personified the meaning of a "True Gentleman," treating others, regardless of circumstance, with the type of respect born only from deep within the fabric of his being. He was incredibly loyal to his many friends and demonstrated in every facet of his being the virtues to which all should aspire … kindness, loyalty, wit, compassion, sincerity, honesty, and integrity. Mack pursued his hobbies with passion. Although he enjoyed playing golf throughout his life, in both competition and for pleasure, he shared his father's profound respect for the game and its many life lessons. He enjoyed sailing, writing, music, reading, and spending quality time with his friends, often in spirited debate about issues confronting his community, state and country.

Mack's love of family was a gift and blessing not only to his parents or extended family, but to all those with the great fortune to have witnessed it firsthand. Among many, one of his legacies is the lesson of unconditional love and honor for one's mother and father.

Mack's love of family was palpable throughout his life. He is survived by his parents, Missy Maret and John Banks Burgess. Mack was their hero and the best man they knew. He is survived by his beloved sister Sancken Burgess and his nephew Miles Newmyer. Mack is also survived by his maternal grandparents, Carol and Dean Maret of Cumming, Ga. Mack had a special bond with his grandmother Carol, whose love for Mack was well known to all who knew them. Mack's extended surviving family includes aunts and uncles DeDe Maret Fitton of Buford, Debbie Maret Hackett of Greensboro, NC, Pam Burgess Middleton (Frank) of Albany, GA, Helene Burgess Fleming (Brother) of Tifton, GA and Billy Burgess (Chris) of Atlanta, GA as well as many cousins.

Mack is predeceased by his paternal grandparents, Nell Sancken Burgess and William E. Burgess and by his uncle, Robert Edward Fitton.

A funeral service will be held on Friday, October 17, 2014 at 12:00 p.m. at St. Brigid Catholic Church at 3400 Old Alabama Road in John's Creek, GA, with a celebration of Mack's life to follow at 1:30 p.m. at the Country Club of Roswell, 2500 Club Springs Drive, Roswell, GA.

The family has requested that any memorials be made in Mack's honor to The Shirley and Billy Weir Scholarship Foundation, 7804 Eagles Landing Court, Columbus, GA 31909 or The Sam Robb Fund, http://www.samrobb.com.

Nydia Tisdale

Attorney Clint Garry Bearden

Post by Nydia Tisdale » November 27th, 2015, 11:15 am

Law Offices of David E. Ralston
Attorneys & Staff

A native resident of Dawson County, Georgia, Clint G. Bearden maintains a general practice serving citizens throughout North Georgia.

​Clint received his B.A., Political Science (magna cum laude) from the University of Georgia in 2005 and his Juris Doctorate (JD) from the University of Georgia School of Law in 2008.

​Prior to joining the Law Offices of David E. Ralston, Clint served as an associate attorney with the Cumming, Georgia firm of Boling Rice LLC, and as a judicial intern in the office of the Honorable Jason J. Deal, Superior Court Judge for the Northeastern Judicial Circuit serving Dawson & Hall Counties.

​Clint was admitted to the Georgia Bar in Fall 2008 and is licensed to practice in all state trial courts throughout Georgia. He is presently a member of the Georgia Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, Georgia Bar Association Family Law Division, American Bar Association, Appalachian Circuit Bar Association, and the Dawson County Chamber of Commerce.

​Additionally, Clint currently serves as Vice Chairman on the Lake Lanier Islands Development Authority, as appointed by Georgia Governor Nathan Deal. He also serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Dawson County Development Authority, Chair of the Governmental Affairs Committee for the Dawson County Chamber of Commerce, a Director for United Way of Dawson County, and as legal counsel for the Board of Directors of the Len Foote Hike Inn, Inc. and Kare for Kids, Inc.

He is a past chairman of the Dawson County Republican Party and is a graduate of the Republican Leadership of Georgia program (formerly the Coverdell Leadership Institute). He is also a graduate of the GA Academy of Economic Development, Leadership Dawson, and was a graduate of the 2013 Georgia Bar Association Young Lawyer's Division Leadership Academy. In 2013-2014, Bearden served as Co-Chairman of the Georgia Bar YLD's Governmental Affairs Committee.

Clint and his wife Jamey have two sons, Henry and Jay, and reside in the North Georgia Mountains.

Nydia Tisdale

DCSO Captain Henry Anthony “Tony” Wooten

Post by Nydia Tisdale » November 27th, 2015, 11:30 am

Wooten announces bid for sheriff
DawsonNews.com
By Michele Hester
August 25, 2015 10:00 p.m.

Capt. Tony Wooten on Monday announced his bid to be Dawson County's next sheriff.

Wooten, 37, currently serves as the agency's public information officer. He also supervises the county's community policing program and school resource officers.

"I've been approached for the last four years asking that when Sheriff [Billy] Carlisle steps down, if I'd consider running for sheriff," he said. "It's something I've prayed about for the last four years and I feel like this is something that I'm confident I should do."

Earlier this year, Carlisle said he would not seek re-election to a sixth term in 2016.

Wooten began his 17-year law enforcement career as a jailer in the Dawson County Detention Center. From there, he climbed the ranks and commanded all but one of the department's divisions.

"I started out at ground level and I think that's a story that helps other deputies that come onboard. That gives a lot of inspiration to other people, hopefully, that are starting out now to know that there's potential to work hard and work their way up," he said. "I've done everything in the sheriff's office that I can do. I know I'm ready for the next level."

Wooten said his experience, coupled with the relationships he's gained in the community would create a seamless transition into the office of sheriff.

"In today's age when most law enforcement jurisdictions are trying to develop relationships with communities, we're blessed that we already have one and I want to work to continue that," he said. "I already have a good relationship with the community and hope to improve that and continue to make Dawson County the best place to live, work and play."

Among his most proud accomplishments are the implementation of the elementary C.H.A.M.P.S program, which focuses on teaching children to make positive choices and creating children's drug-free curriculum that was later adopted by the Georgia Sheriff's Association.

He also kicked-off Shop with a Cop when the local Walmart opened several years ago. The program now serves nearly 100 local youth each Christmas.

"People know me and they know that they can trust me," he said. "I think I've shown that I care about the community. Anybody can make promises of what they are going to do when they get into office. I've delivered on what I said I'm going to do in Dawson County."

Running with the "Dedicated to Dawson" campaign slogan, Wooten said a look back on his work the last 17 years proves he's dedicated to the community.

"I love the statement, ‘the best indication of future behavior is past behavior,'" he said.

A member of New Life Church, where he serves as an elder and outreach director, Wooten is also active in the community.

He is a Rotarian in the Dawson County Rotary Club and a youth community coach even before his children were involved in sports.

Married for 10 years, he and his wife Jennifer Wooten, have three young children, Owen, 7, Luke, 5, and Brooks, who is three.

Wooten is the second candidate announcing intention to run for sheriff in next year's election.

Jeff Perry, 50, who currently serves as a chief parole officer with the State Board of Pardons and Paroles, also plans to run.

Both candidates are republicans.

Nydia Tisdale

Cumming Mayor H. Ford Gravitt loses election to newcomer Troy Brumbalow

Post by Nydia Tisdale » November 15th, 2017, 6:15 pm

DICK WILLIAMS: Before we turn to the legislative business, I think we should mention that Ford Gravitt — the mayor of Cumming — was defeated [59.2% - 40.8%]. The guy’s been mayor for forty-seven years.

ALEXIS SCOTT: Hmm.

DICK WILLIAMS: And on the council before that. Fifty years serving the citizens of Cumming.

PHIL KENT: Well, it was time for him to go. He was not a —

JEFF DICKERSON: Term limits?

PHIL KENT: He was not a friend of —

JEFF DICERSON: Term limits, anyone?

PHIL KENT: Yeah. He was not a friend of open and transparent government.

DICK WILLIAMS: No, when he kicked that, uh —

PHIL KENT: Right —

DICK WILLIAMS: — Nydia Tisdale out of, you know —

ALEXIS SCOTT: At that meeting.

PHIL KENT: — So, but the voters took the car keys away from great grandpa.

ALEXIS SCOTT: Oh, my.

DICK WILLIAMS: Well said.

ALEXIS SCOTT: No.

DICK WILLIAMS: He’s gotta learn to live with those new-fangled devices like cameras and stuff, right?

PHIL KENT: That’s right. You need to allow them. Have public input and transparency.