Happy “Day of the Journalist” in Colombia, South America

Click link for list of topics. Membership is not required to read content or to watch Nydeos.
Nydia Tisdale

Happy “Day of the Journalist” in Colombia, South America

Post by Nydia Tisdale » February 9th, 2016, 6:30 pm

¡Feliz Dia del Periodista! — Happy Day of the Journalist!

La verdad es el motor que mueve al periodismo libre...
The truth is the engine that drives the free press...

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 5:38pm
#PhotographyIsNotACrime
@PINACnews
By Carlos Miller

So my aunt in Colombia sends me an email, informing me that it's the "Day of the Journalist" in Colombia, congratulating me, saying I am deserving of this recognition.

But real journalists never take anything at face value, even if it comes from family, especially if it comes from family because they are biased, so I conduct further research and discover this is a day that is recognized in various Latin American countries.

But in true Latin American fashion, they are incapable of getting on the same page about the date, so the date varies depending on the country.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%ADa_del_Periodista

In Colombia, there are even two "Dias del Periodista," which reveals the true dysfunction of Colombia and the real sacrifice that journalists down there have paid to tell the truth because the Committee to Protect Journalists reports that 47 journalists have been killed in Colombia since 1992.

https://cpj.org/killed/americas/colombia/

It's real down there.

I'm not sure if there is a "Day of the Journalist" in the United States and I really don't give a shit, to be honest.

This is a country that has days for everything as long as it involves consumerism, usually food, which inspires Americans to rush out and buy whatever food item is being honored because this country prefers hard-core gluttony over hard-core reality.

This is a country where journalism, for the most part, is controlled. At least by the corporate media.

They are influenced by the Police PR Spin Machine, which for the life of me, I cannot comprehend why they can't see through it.

Or at least admit to seeing through it rather than play the "objective" card, which is far from objective. It's PR journalism, not much different than dishing out what your clients want dished out rather than calling it out as you see it.

And this is a country where cops have not necessarily resorted to killing independent journalists, those dedicated to telling their side of the truth, which may be biased but at least it's transparent – but they have succeeded in beating and intimidating and jailing those citizens who have attempted to shine a light on their antics.

And getting away with it.

We know the risks yet we move forward because the more they beat and jail us, the more we realize the truth must be told. The more we are compelled to tell the truth because they may have the guns, badges and power, but we have the cameras and words and the truth.

And that is why those journalists in Colombia and in Mexico and in countless other countries deserve the honor. They knew the risks, yet they did what they had to do expose the truth.

Their lives may be lost but the truth they exposed will never be lost.

So this is a day not for me as my aunt intended (remember, she is very biased), but a day to honor those who have lost their lives in their quest to tell the truth.

Without them, society will be even more clueless and controlled than how it already is.