Please vote NO on Georgia House Resolution 1 naming the state appellate judicial complex Nathan Deal Judicial Center

Click link for list of topics. Membership is not required to read content or to watch Nydeos.
Nydia Tisdale

Please vote NO on Georgia House Resolution 1 naming the state appellate judicial complex Nathan Deal Judicial Center

Post by Nydia Tisdale » February 8th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Citizen journalist Nydia Tisdale video records the case of Attorney General Sam Olens v. Cumming Mayor H. Ford Gravitt, et al., in Cumming, Georgia on July 25, 2013. Video still from video by Dimitri Lotovski, CBS 46.

Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 at 12:44 PM

To: LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR Geoff.Duncan@ltgov.ga.gov;
56 STATE SENATORS john.albers@senate.ga.gov; lee.anderson@senate.ga.gov; tonya.anderson@senate.ga.gov; brandon.beach@senate.ga.gov; ellis.black@senate.ga.gov; matt.brass@senate.ga.gov; dean.burke@senate.ga.gov; gloria.butler@senate.ga.gov; bill.cowsert@senate.ga.gov; gail.davenport@senate.ga.gov; greg.dolezal@senate.ga.gov; mike.dugan@senate.ga.gov; frank.ginn@senate.ga.gov; steve.gooch@senate.ga.gov; marty.harbin@senate.ga.gov; ed.harbison@senate.ga.gov; tyler.harper@senate.ga.gov; sally.harrell@senate.ga.gov; bill.heath@senate.ga.gov; steve.henson@senate.ga.gov; jack.hill@senate.ga.gov; chuck.hufstetler@senate.ga.gov; lester.jackson@senate.ga.gov; donzella.james@senate.ga.gov; burt.jones@senate.ga.gov; emanuel.jones@senate.ga.gov; harold.jones@senate.ga.gov; jennifer.jordan@senate.ga.gov; zahra.karinshak@senate.ga.gov; john.kennedy@senate.ga.gov; greg.kirk@senate.ga.gov; kay.kirkpatrick@senate.ga.gov; william.ligon@senate.ga.gov; david.lucas@senate.ga.gov; p.k.martin@senate.ga.gov; butch.miller@senate.ga.gov; jeff.mullis@senate.ga.gov; nan.orrock@senate.ga.gov; elena.parent@senate.ga.gov; chuck.payne@senate.ga.gov; sheikh.rahman@senate.ga.gov; michael.rhett@senate.ga.gov; randy.robertson@senate.ga.gov; valencia.seay@senate.ga.gov; freddie.sims@senate.ga.gov; jesse.stone@senate.ga.gov; brian.strickland@senate.ga.gov; horacena.tate@senate.ga.gov; bruce.thompson@senate.ga.gov; blake.tillery@senate.ga.gov; lindsey.tippins@senate.ga.gov; renee.unterman@senate.ga.gov; larry.walker@senate.ga.gov; ben.watson@senate.ga.gov; john.wilkinson@senate.ga.gov; nikema.williams@senate.ga.gov;
and HOUSE REPRESENTATIVES matt.gurtler@house.ga.gov; colton.moore@house.ga.gov

Subject: Please vote NO on House Resolution 1 naming the state appellate judicial complex Nathan Deal Judicial Center

Friday, February 8, 2019

Hon. Lt. Governor Geoff Duncan
Georgia State Senate Members
206 Washington Street SW
Atlanta, Georgia 30334

Dear Lt. Governor Duncan and Senators:

I write to you today in opposition to House Resolution 1 naming the forthcoming new state appellate judicial complex Nathan Deal Judicial Center.

HR 1 2019-2020 Regular Session A RESOLUTION naming the forthcoming new state appellate judicial complex the Nathan Deal Judicial Center; and for other purposes.

I am a citizen journalist who video records public events, with public officials and announced candidates, discussing the public’s business, to publish online for the public to view. There are 1,200 Nydeos (Nydia’s videos) on my YouTube.com/NydiaTisdale channel. I have had the distinct pleasure of video recording Mr. Geoff Duncan’s run for State House and for Lieutenant Governor.

Most officials welcome the coverage from my camera; however, Governor Nathan Deal and First Lady Sandra Deal sat silently in the front row of an advertised, open-to-the-public, campaign rally held at Burt’s Pumpkin Farm in Dawsonville, Dawson County, Georgia on Saturday, August 23, 2014 while I was forcibly removed and then sexually assaulted by an unidentified, off-duty deputy. Governor Deal watched from a few feet away, and said nothing, and did nothing.

Here is the Facebook event:

Here is a brief timeline of my journey for justice in the criminal justice system:
  • In 2014, I was arrested for criminal trespass, a misdemeanor; and felony obstruction of an officer by then-Captain Tony Wooten, formerly of the Dawson County Sheriff’s Office.
  • In 2015, an ante litem letter was sent to Dawson County giving notice of my intent to file a civil lawsuit for violation of my civil rights. Fifteen months after my arrest, my case was presented to a Dawson County grand jury and I was indicted for misdemeanor criminal trespass; felony obstruction of an officer; and misdemeanor obstruction of an officer.
  • In 2016, a lawsuit was filed in federal court against the three officers who wrongfully arrested me. Additionally, a formal complaint was filed with the Dawson County Sheriff’s Office against Tony Wooten alleging sexual assault and/or sexual battery, and violation of oath. A pretrial immunity hearing was held, but my motion was denied.
  • In 2017, I stood trial for quietly video recording Governor Nathan Deal’s campaign rally. As a key eye witness in my case, Governor Nathan Deal was subpoenaed to testify, but did not appear. The jury found me NOT GUILTY of criminal trespass; NOT GUILTY of felony obstruction of an officer; and GUILTY of misdemeanor obstruction of an officer. I was sentenced to one year of probation, 40 hours of community service, and $1,000 fine.
  • In 2018, I moved for a new trial on the misdemeanor obstruction of an officer verdict which was denied.
  • In 2019, I am appealing my misdemeanor conviction to the Georgia Court of Appeals.

Here is a sample of the local, state, national, and international media coverage of the most unfortunate #PumpkinGate case.

The Ed Show — Journalist roughed up at Georgia GOP event 09/03/14
Journalist roughed up at Georgia GOP event | The Ed Show on MSNBC, By Ed Shultz September 3, 2014. Officers showed acts of aggression and forcibly removed a citizen journalist in Dawsonville after trying to report and record a GOP event.

VIDEO: Journalist Roughed Up And Removed From Georgia GOP Event | Talking Points Memo, By Daniel Strauss.
Over the past week there’s been something of a brouhaha surrounding a journalist being forcibly removed from a local Republican event in Georgia. The journalist was Nydia Tisdale, who went to ...

Nydia Tisdale: activismo en favor de la participación ciudadana en la política | Periodismo Ciudadano, By Paula Gonzalo.
Nydia Tisdale, (@NydiaTisdale), se dio a conocer por su empeño en conseguir que los ciudadanos tuviesen acceso a las informaciones debatidas en los plenos

Questionable timing, politics surround case against citizen journalist | WSB-TV, By Jodie Fleischer.
A citizen journalist honored by several Georgia groups for increasing access to open government is now facing serious criminal charges after simply recording an event billed as a public political rally.

How one woman’s ‘hyperlocal C-Span’ brings transparency to politics in Georgia | Columbia Journalism Review - The voice of journalism
Timothy Pratt is a journalist based in the Atlanta area. He has written for The New York Times, The Economist, The Guardian, and many other publications.He also lived in Las Vegas and worked for the Las Vegas Sun from 2001-2009.

Georgia woman wages single-handed fight for open government | Associated Press, By Kate Brumback.
In this Thursday, Sept. 15, 2011 photo, Nydia Tisdale, a government watchdog that attends a Forsyth County Commission meeting, uses a video camera to record their meeting in Cumming, Ga., on Thursday, Sept. 15, 2011.

Citizen journalist who was roughed up at GOP rally seeks sexual assault charges against deputy | The Atlanta Journal Constitution, By Greg Bluestein, Political Insider blog.
Nydia Tisdale, the citizen-journalist from Roswell who was roughed up in August 2014 for recording video at a Dawsonville GOP rally, has asked state prosecutors to file sexual assault charges ...

Attorney: County Burying Client in Court Costs in Appeal | Mike Petchenik-WSB-TV
A Roswell woman who takes videos of public events is appealing her conviction on charges she obstructed a deputy removing her from a political rally, but she says Dawson County is trying to bury her in court costs.

Governor Nathan Deal did not honor his oath of office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Georgia Constitution when he failed to protect this citizen journalist.

Please do not set Nathan Deal’s name in stone upon the forthcoming new state appellate judicial complex. Such an honor would be fitting for the late Honorable Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice P. Harris Hines.

I respectfully request that you vote NO on House Resolution 1.

Kind regards,

Nydia Tisdale

Citizen Journalist
AboutForsyth.com
1240 Oakhaven Drive
Roswell, GA 30075
(770) 594-2300 phone
(404) 316-8888 cell

Nydia Tisdale

Thank you Reps. Matt Gurtler and Colton Moore for voting NO on #GAHR1

Post by Nydia Tisdale » February 10th, 2019, 10:00 pm